Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Coffee Lobotomy, Blood Letting and Integrity

Someone in the office switched the regular I drink with a very similarly packaged decaf. So I've been running on sugar pills for god-knows how long.

I tried to make the best of this zombie state by reading some articles before getting down to business. This one sure perked me up.

20 Things 20-Year-Olds Don't Get

As a 20-something I was anxious to see what my older colleagues supposedly think of me. I'll leave the explanations back at the URL above and just put my two cents in below each section.

Time is Not a Limitless Commodity
I hear ya. I feel like I've always been way behind where I should be. Don't elicit any more panic than I already give myself.

You’re Talented, But Talent is Overrated
I often feel that if I could just get an interview that I'd get the job. I think I am good on paper but great in person. The thing is, I got a liberal arts degree and worked nothing-jobs right after college. I've wasted a lot of time and have nothing to show for it. See panic above.

We’re More Productive in the Morning
Yup. Unless someone switches the regular for decaf. 


Social Media is Not a Career 
It's basically my career right now. Sadly, I know this article is right. See panic above.

Pick Up the Phone
I know who to call on the phone and to whom to write an email. I work with a lot of nerds who stumble over "um's" and "err's" when  woman talks to them. Eye contact is hard, yo. So sometimes I give them a break and let them write it out. Like a sober Ragesh on The Big Bang Theory.

Be the First In & Last to Leave 
A few years ago I had an 8 - 5 job with no potential for overtime. I was early the first week of work just to make sure I didn't have any surprises with my commute and to best time the trains. After I was very comfortable with it, I only got in 5 minutes before 8 or right at 8. I was never late, mind you, when she pounced on me with passive aggressive questions like: 

"Is something wrong this morning?"
"No, why?"
"I just wondered why you were late."
"It's 8 though."
"If you're on time you're late."
Noted.

In my current job I am usually the first one in from the 8 AM crowd in my department - and my arrival is usually 10+ minutes before the hour. Others come in at 7:15 and leave early. 

Don’t Wait to Be Told What to Do 
Absolutely. If you finish a task, ask for another one.

Take Responsibility for Your Mistakes
I made some big mistakes in my job. And I owned up to them and called the person that was most affected by them and told him he could verbally lash the shit out of me. He sorta did. Then he sorta respected me and backed off. It was like a prison fight. Then I shut the door to my office and did not let one person see me cry.*

You Should Be Getting Your Butt Kicked
And I have. By the person above who reamed me so badly on a conference call (before I had a chance to explain) myself that the others on the call called me later to see if I was ok. And they didn't even work for our company. And by the she-boss above who thought I could read her mind about being in at 7:30 every workday instead of 8. And by the same she-boss who, when I asked for a performance review, seemed shocked that one of her two employees would need some of her valuable time to discuss career path, compensation and various grievances. Oh, I hope I've paid my dues in this department.

A New Job a Year Isn’t a Good Thing ­­
I thought you said time was not a limitless commodity? I get why one should show commitment by not bouncing around when the going gets tough/boring, but what about moving forward? Don't you think that some employees know that a certain job isn't working out within a year? Or that they can't grow beyond their role, regardless of time?

People Matter More Than Perks
Amen. One could lay brick or reroof (two of the hardest jobs, I hear) with the right crew. 

Map Effort to Your Professional Gain 
And if you're not on track, are you allow to leave that job? See first and tenth points.

Speak Up, Not Out 
I'm guilty of this one, folks. I get frustrated but I'm too timid to go to my boss and tell him sometimes. And I often wonder if it will only hurt me if I voice frustration. I wonder if it will make me look like a complainer or not a team player. This is sorta the reason I was so tired yesterday after meetings (or was it the decaf). My boss was asking our team how we viewed the current climate of the company. He said in no uncertainty that he wanted an honest chain of communication and no surprises from his staff. Out of the two of us in the meeting, I was the only one to air concerns. And how could there not be some legitimate concerns? Our boss took us to lunch for no reason and that never happens.

You HAVE to Build Your Technical Chops 
No argument there. I have a smattering of random skills on my resume from working several admin, office manager and creative positions. I am perfectly suited for no job in particular. Hurray!

via, but I actually don't mind confrontation at all. 

Both the Size and Quality of Your Network Matter 
I am terrible at networking. I am an introvert and, although I have friends and can meet new people without feeling shy, I just prefer to live in my own head-space. When given a choice between a young professionals happy hour and getting an extra hour of sleep, I'll usually choose sleep. Unless I can make the happy hour into a game (like, beat your friends in how many business cards from people in khakis can you collect in under an hour), which I do enjoy. Networking alone is not enough for me to meet new people.

You Need At Least 3 Professional Mentors 
I wish! I have joined a few online communities for young professional women and have gotten squat for mentors**. It's really frustrating. And, as I've eluded to, I've always worked in small environments where the mentor options are your direct boss or their direct boss (which is not the point of a mentor) or shy men who would rather eat their shoe than talk to a woman. I am really disappointed by my current mentor options and would open myself up to any opportunities readers present. Send along the mentors, gals!

Pick an Idol & Act “As If” 
Done. Does it count if it's a character from a fictional setting...?

Read More Books, Less Tweets/Texts 
I'd like to expand this to articles and news . I think reading excellent writing - whether in prose, poetry, news, opinion, fiction or nonfiction - enriches you. Make sure you read at or above your comprehension most of the time, to ensure that you're learning. And read some trash too. You can't fully appreciate Hemingway if you don't indulge in Rowling sometimes.

Spend 25% Less Than You Make 
Done. We fiscally conservative, yo.

Your Reputation is Priceless, Don’t Damage It
I worry about what people think of me all the time. That's why this blog is about as thrilling as a roller coaster to me. I put every exciting/though-provoking/raw/judgmental/stupid/unproven/mumbo-jumbo thing out there and hope to hope that I can keep blood-letting and my integrity. The extent to which I worry about my personal reputation is nearly crippling. I have had long bouts of low self esteem throughout my life, so I don't think that I'll worry about ruining my professional reputation. It will only keep me from blogging and that will keep me from living. 

---
*I'd also like to add: Never let them see you cry!
**Unless my husband counts. I blab to him and ask his advice over drinks all the time.