Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Flip It Friday: Layers of Questions

Yesterday I was talking with some coworkers about society, American politics, race, company politics, health and current events. It was heavy but beautiful. We created an impromptu round table in my office and bantered about all things noodle-worthy. We were all fair and open-minded. I closed the day out with saying to another, I see the storm clouds in the distance. Something is coming. I'm not sure what it is, but I feel like all of this conversation, theses events are preparing us.

I went to bed last night praying prayers of readiness and woke up to a rainy forecast and a downpour-during-commute. A literal rain cloud had rolled right in.

Let's start in deep and work our way out of the rabbit hole of controversy in my head.

Wrestling in/on my mind this week: The White Savior Industrial Complex. Attending that Justice Conference. Reposting that Kony video. Shoot, basically declaring that I have a calling somewhere in social service. What does it mean to impact people. How do we do "with" and not "to"?


Noodle on that.

Let's take a step back now.

Between the TED Talks video below (I'm getting hooked on these lately... thanks, Bebe!) and this article, I'm thinking about SOPA/PIPA again.


I do see how this legislation is never really going to go away. We are too connected of a society now to not share things online. But is copyright infringement inevitable? What about articles like this one that say that being copied is not only the highest form of flattery, but also the best kind of publicity for your business?

What do you think?

Now onto a lighter note (or for those who don't care about SOPA), are you planting a garden this year? Our friends BaM are and so are our landlords/neighbors. MFAMB also did a funny article on planting her garden. (I wish I could compost!) I don't have a green thumb, but I wish I did. Do you have any tips for the greenest (i.e. newest) of the gardeners out there? I hear you should already have your lettuce in the ground!