Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tipsy Tuesday: How to get pit stains out of shirts

A 1:1 ratio of peroxide and Dawn with a bit of baking soda for abrasion. I've heard from more than one person that Dawn is the best brand of soap for this type of job because it is a grease-cutter. Even my jeweler said I should use Dawn to clean my engagement ring. (Either good marketing, or a darn good product!)

I have use this solution twice on a batch of 4 or 5 shirts each time and it works. 

I mixed the liquids together in a wide dish and then dip a scrub brush in the mixture. I pour a bit of baking soda right on the affected area and then bring the wet scrub brush to the cloth and scrub, scrub, scrub. 

The tools (Minus the scrub brush. I used one with handle like the kind you might use to clean a shower.)

Pre-scrub shirt
The stain may dissipate some while you are scrubbing, but it will fade even more if you let it soak for a few minutes and then run it through a normal wash cycle. If the stain has not faded after the wash, don't put it in the dryer (that will set the stain further). Scrub it again with the mixture and then run it though a second time. I got all of my shirts clean and stain-free in 2 scrub/washes or less!

My dad also informs me that peroxide and Dawn are good for getting skunk smell out of hunting dogs :) I guess this is the miracle mixture!