Let me first of all thank you all for visiting my blog on Tuesday. This past Tipsy Tuesday was an overwhelming success with high pageviews and high commenting (for me, anyway). So, thank you!
It's nice to be thanked. Its nice to have something given to you or done for you that is worthy of a "thank you".
So if someone give you a compliment, say thank you. Don't refute them with "Oh, this old thing?" or "I'm worried it's too salty."
If someone gives you a gift, say thank you. Not "It's not my size/color/taste".
If a stranger holds the door for a line of their friends and then you happen to squeak in at the back, don't fumble back and forth on who should walk through first. Don't waste their time, just keep walking and say thank you. (Or hang back so there isn't that awkward moment of indecision.)
If someone wishes you a happy weekend, don't get into a drawn out explanation about why it's not happy. These sorts of valedictions are usually indicative of the end of a conversation. Say thank you and throw a "same to you" on the end if you're feeling spritely.
And one more thing. Stop apologizing so much. If you didn't do anything wrong ("sorry you have a head cold" "sorry I coughed into the phone" "sorry I ordered the salmon"), then don't apologize for it. Your apologies lose their oomph if you wear them around like stick-on mustache.
THANK YOU
I'm not sorry :)
---
Tonight I am running a 3.5 mile race with some teammates from my company. It's nearly 90 degrees in Chi-town today, so after the race we'll have some sandwiches and cold beer (and water, of course!). I'm looking forward to the team building!
