This post is about a social/political issue. If you want to skip it, just listen to the song and move on.
Three people in my life have shared with me that they've had at least one abortion in their life.
[Pause]
And those are just the ones who have shared that information.
A high school friend shared this blog post on Facebook. I encourage you to read it. The rest of this post will seem like painful wax poetic if you don't (although, it still might... but I'm taking back my blog!).
I, too, have gone through an evolution on this subject of abortion. Through second-hand experience and gut feeling. I've shamefully, ignorantly, had visceral hate towards both sides of the argument in my life.
But I can say that from the people I've known ... that this isn't a straight line issue. My friends were all different (in location, age, socioeconomic status, spirituality, etc.), but they all had emotional trauma leading up to an abortion. They've all not been loved well. They aren't accepted and they don't accept themselves. There's always discouragement.
My friend's histories are complex and the reasons may vary, but there is one consistent thing missing: love. Or if you're not into that, at least compassion.
As long as this issue is too taboo for the reasonable and too easy a joust for the extreme, nothing will be brought to light to address the wellness of its victims.
And in the darkness, anything could happen.