All of these women are my peers. We're in our 20's-30's, creative, driven, city-dwellin' (or wannabes) and all of us were putting our best feet forward. I swear half of the girls were bottle-blonde with the same red shade of NARS lipstick and the other half were raven-haired girls with nonseasonal tans*. I fall in neither of those categories, but I certainly did try to look professional and cute at this event. [Check out the GPOY on my instagram --->
Heat wave?
As the party filled up, I found myself having a hard time trying to meet the other creator (Hi Danielle!). As I was there alone, I didn't want to be awkwardly scanning the room for the next 1.5 hours just for an opportunity to connect with other women. Like this bear --->
"Hey, have you girls checked out what is in the gift bags yet?"
"Yeah, they have those new kind of hair ties that are supposed to not crease your hair."
"Oh yeah? I got one of those in a Birchbox once."
"That's how I first got mine! I get Birchbox too."
Bam. People to talk to (Hi Alexis/Alexa [I'll admit that I didn't hear your name over the DJ] and Amanda!).
Picking up girls is harder as you get older. I used to go out with my guy friends when I was single and have a ton of fun helping them hit on girls at bars. Girls talking to girls is so disarming. And when all you have to do is compliment their shoes to start a conversation, it can be so easy and rewarding.
I really enjoyed talking to those girls. They were interesting and we started joking how they are spys (they work for the Federal Reserve). I would have stuck around to see if I could talk to anyone else or share my blog info, but I was exhausted from meeting just three new people.
So, how do you do it? How do you network? Does it wear anyone else out?
Images:
*Not hatin'. I just saw root on the blondes and tan lines on the brunettes.
** Note to self: get personal cards made up SOON.