Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Gossip: Casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details that are not confirmed as being true.

Rumors. Idle talk. Sensational, personal report about others.

We've all done it.

Talked about someone, while they aren't around, to make conversation.

Shared something we've heard to further a rumor.

Made speculative conversation to paint another in a certain light.

Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.
-Matthew 5:37

So when I read this article about "good gossip", I sorta flew off. 

There is no "good gossip". 

Participating in conversations that foster speculative truths is harmful. Even if the information could be true. Even if the person deserves it. Whoever decides that, anyway. 

If you are the sharer-of-the-news, consider not coloring other's views with your own. If you are the listener, consider not allowing your views to be colored.

And what good would come from spreading good news if it isn't true? That could damage your credibility!

Make an effort to share only your own news or only things that you know to be true and edifying, uplifting things. 

Maybe if the title was "spreading good, true news at work could be beneficial to your career" instead of “being a gossip girl at work is a good thing", I'd have given their article some consideration.

But I suppose my suggested headline wouldn't be as "sensational".