Make your plans clear: This may seem obvious, but our third roommate, as we came to refer to him, didn't clue us in on any of his plans for coming and going until he was en route, and he also didn't let us in on his date of departure. Don't keep your host guessing — be clear about your plans.
Keep your belongings tidy: Staying in a spare bedroom allows for more flexibility, but generally speaking, make your bed/fold your blankets, and put your belongings in one organized, out of the way pile .
Take initiative: One of the redeeming moments we experienced was when our guest took it upon himself to take out the kitchen trash. If you're living with others and contributing to the mess you too, should help out with the house chores.
Don't be a mooch: One of the less redeeming qualities of our house guest was his ability to show up right at dinner time. I found myself dividing our dinner for two between three people. The first time I didn't mind, the second time I was annoyed.
Leave a small gift: It's always a nice gesture to leave a gift. If you're enjoying a meal with your host, wine is an easy way to go. If you're just sleeping there it would be appropriate to leave something at the end of your stay. (J.Mill's note: Totally optional)
I love hosting and want people to feel comfortable in my home. I'll spend a pretty penny on fancy food to feed you, wait on you hand and food for drinks, linens, snacks, "how do I turn the shower on" instructions. I'll stay up late with your chatting or let you turn in earlier than expected. I also love it when people show courtesy and are genuinely thankful to stay with us.
Some additions I would make:
- Be on-time. If we are expecting you for dinner, be there for dinner. Or at least keep us posted if you are going to be late.
- If you are going out late (we live in the city but are old - and I'm cranky - and sometimes don't go out with our 22 year old guests), be sure to know how to use spare keys so we don't get woken up in the middle of the night to let you in.
- Abide by house rules. The Mr. has 2 cats that we don't let into spare rooms so we can keep them allergen free for guests and don't have to vacuum empty rooms as frequently. If you want to snuggle with a kitty while you sleep, sleep on the couch where they can be all up in your business. Don't make me sanitize more than I have to.
- Be quiet. We live in a condo building and if you stomp around, play music loudly or laugh like a hyena after too much wine, you may be putting us in jeopardy with the neighbors. We're already painful neighbors as it is :)
I know lately I may not be so hospitable. If you are still interested in being a house guest while I'm a depressed fire-breathing reptile, kudos!
