Right off the top here I'm going to say that this question could get political. Please comment honestly, but with a conscious filter that this is a public forum. And if you must be crude to comment, go ahead, I just might delete your comment. Haha... like people ever comment anyway :)
So what bone am I picking? Welfare.
There has been a debate about whether those on welfare should have to pass a drug test to receive government assistance. I think this is just the tip of the iceberg. (P.S. I spelled "iceburg" the first time like Suburgatory, which, btw, is really funny and reminds me of Mean Girls...carry on.)
Should taxpayers have more of a say in how individuals receiving welfare spend their money? Whether it be having more strict guidelines with how food stamps can be spent or not allowing welfare dependent families to buy "extras" like pets or have satellite TV.
I once was behind a family with young children in the grocery line and they had boxes of donuts, several gallon jugs of sugary "fruit" punch drink, chips, greasy "salads" from the deli and pork cracklin's. Not one green vegetable on the whole conveyor belt and this is a local market that has extremely affordable produce. (A 5 lb bag of carrots for $2.99, hello!!) The parent's total was well over $100 but they only had to pay about $40 of it because of their Link Card.
I grew up in a money-conscious household and my parents were very smart (from my perspective) on raising 3 kids on one modest salary. We rarely had "fake" food (didn't even keep soda in the house for a long time) nor did we have cable or satellite TV. Even now as I am making my own way, S and I cut back on the unnecessary to afford the things we need and value.
Priorities are in the eye of the beholder, but when it comes to a family's health or the well-being of children, I get riled up. To think, with the junk food they eat, they are making their children more at risk for high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity and other health-related illnesses. I don't believe that these families can afford huge medical bills if they can't even afford groceries.
So what do you think? Does something about a food-stamp family buying junk food just make your jaw hit the floor? Should those that get assistance from our tax dollars be able to "splurge" on the unnecessary? Am I being really insensitive and not seeing the big-picture?
