I once got a text from my coworker who was down the hall that said something about her coworker's outfit being too short and too tight and reminding her of a slutty girl on the movie Mean Girls. I am the only "coworker" this girl had at the time and I was wearing a clingy sweater-dress and tights. Huh.I deduced that the text was intended for another party but had been sent to me by mistake. I went and confronted the offender and told her that I didn't care what she thought about what I was wearing. I only cared that she not actually think I was the type of mean girl in Mean Girls. She was naturally mortified and got quite upset and apologetic over the whole thing.
I too have put my foot in my mouth. I've told a closeted Floridian that I thought Florida was a "garbage dump". I've made fun of people's grammar, logic, accent, choice of pet, and ability to navigate technology - all to their faces and all the while feeling the angst of wishing I could have kept my mouth shut.
When this happens be honest. If you are sorry, say it. If you aren't be honest for why you feel the way you do and hear them out if they feel hurt. If you are the victim, be gracious. We've all been there or will be sometime in our lives. If all else fails - offender or victim - get them talking about why they disagree with you or find some common ground. Divert the attention to why they love Florida, tell them about the time you got "their" and "they're" confused on a company-wide email, or ask why the heck they have so many damn cats.
Photo