Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

Theatre Saved My Life

Theatre/Theater. What-have-you.

I got a FB message from a former teacher of mine about the arts in my high school.

She writes:
"I am currently scheduled to meet with the principals of WHS about
suggestions I gave them concerning the importance of the arts in
school. WHS no longer has a full time band director and the arts are
not what they once were. There is currently very little support of
any of the performing arts. I don't think they mean to do it, I just
don't think they realize the importance it has on many students. I'm
hoping to take with me a pile of letters from people who have spent
time on the WHS stage and feel their life is better for doing so. I
know most of you are not Broadway stars...but you all are productive
members of society. If you have any time in the next two weeks I
would LOVE it if you could email me a short note that I could share
with the principals. I know some of you are having babies, moving,
and are busy...but if you could take a couple of minutes (I know you
have lots of opinions!) and could just send me something about how a
booming theater program helped you become who you are I would greatly
appreciate it. WHS has had a hard year with several suicides. Kids
feel alone. Did being in the theater make you feel like you belonged?"
 Hell yes.

Wawasee is a polarizing community. With million-dollar lake houses across the street from mobile homes, the serving and the served live side by side. Not unlike Downton Abbey*.

I grew up socially awkward, poor, flat-chested, wearin' hand-me-downs, oblivious to the flat-iron, singing made-up songs, wearing clogs, had the glasses/braces combo, riding the bus and not tweezing my eyebrows until I was teased for it.

By the time I hit 6th grade, the fission of friendships with those kids who had the right lip gloss, got highlights and wore brand names was apparent.

My dad was in theatre in his high school years and took me to see Brigadoon at WHS in the late '90s. Dad played the affable foil to the main character when he was a teenager and wanted to see the show as much as I did. From the overture, I was hooked.

I never try anything unless I know I can be the best at it. I am that insecure. But when I was one of four freshman to try out for the play in 2000, I had a hunch that I wouldn't get a part. So I did stage makeup.

Then, when the musical came around and I was cast as a chorus member, I felt like my world had opened up.

I participated in every show - onstage, backstage, in the green room, on a headset. It was my world. I made the best of friends there and never felt alone. When you strip down what money can buy and put all of the girls in homemade dresses and cake make-up, it levels the playing field.

WHS theatre beckoned football players, stoners, swimmers, cheerleaders, gamers, members of the band, honor students, failing students, the tone deaf and the stage frightened! Athletes would do two-a-days to participate and the top 10% in academics would pull all-nighters to get their work done AND stay on stage. It was cool to sing on stage, to put make-up on a guy, to wear a hoop skirt and character shoes.

And in 2003 when my fellow student, dance partner, theatre comrade and boyfriend died in a car accident, it was the theatre crowd who was there for me.

Theatre kids came to meet me at his house when I couldn't make sense of it.
Theatre kids took me home with them so I had 'round-the-clock support. That first night, I woke up in a bed I'd never seen, in a house I'd never been, befriended by people I'd only known through theatre.
Theatre kids loved me through a period of time when I was angry, mean and confused - a pall took years to lift.
Theatre directors, producers, conductors and parents took me to movies to keep me busy, constantly checked in with me, corrected me when my emotions got away from me and taught me how to channel my hurt into my art.

I was a smart kid, with loving parents and a good home. I would have been fine without it, but my high school years would have been worthless without theatre.

So when I graduated in 2004, it meant everything that freshmen I'd never met knew my name.

They knew my name.

I wasn't a celebrity, but I was somebody. I mattered. I hope many more students at Wawasee can get the opportunity for community, belonging and life lessons like I did.
I got to play Anna in the King and I. When I'm home this weekend I should get the photos and post them.

---
Leave a comment or email me if you want the contact information for submitting your own letter in support of the arts at WHS.


*What I wouldn't GIVE to be in the stage version of THAT!