As I can't advise you on how not to swear (maybe insert another word like "AhKellyClarkson!" - like from the movie 40 Year Old Virgin), but I can give you a list of other things you're saying that make you sound like an unprofessional, 14-year-old idiot.
- Stop saying "like" as a space-filler in conversation. Have someone write down every time you say "like" or wear a rubber band on your wrist for one day and snap it every time you say "like".
- Don't misuse the word "random". Definition: proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern. "Random" is not a cool buzzword to make you seem different or hilarious. Your night was not "so random" last night. That email was not "so random". Your Facebook album from the lake house weekend was not "random".
- I get it, pronouns are hard. Learn when to use "I" or "me", "She" or "her". Correct: "They are going to help her and me." Incorrect: "They are going to help she and I."
Think grammar doesn't matter? It may matter to your boss. It might be the make or break skill that decides your future. Think I'm being dramatic? Read this.
That said, let's not all become the grammar police. If we know what people are saying (and we aren't their superior), it's best to let mistakes slide. If you are in the position to use someone's grammatical mistake as a teaching point, make sure you doing it gracefully. No one likes a know-it-all.
And for Heaven's sake, don't use proper grammar and then point it out to people. If using correct grammar requires clarification, maybe you should change or simplify your sentence structure.
I'll admit that I get hung up on lie/lay (people lie down themselves, people lay down objects) and hanged/hung (again, one for people and another for objects), but I try to sort it out each time I use these words to make a new, correct habit out of it.
Do you stumble over any particular grammar rules? Are you a stickler for grammar or do you think grammar may be becoming less relevant?
---
This past weekend it was the Mr.'s birthday. His paternal family hosted a wonderful celebration at a lake house on Lake Gage near Angola, Indiana. It was in the 80's, sunny and quiet. Such a good time!
And his aunt got a lovely cake from a boutique baker in Ft. Wayne. He got to blow out the candles on two desserts for twice the birthday wishes!
If you follow me on Instagram, you already saw these. Sorry for nothing new!
Think grammar doesn't matter? It may matter to your boss. It might be the make or break skill that decides your future. Think I'm being dramatic? Read this.
That said, let's not all become the grammar police. If we know what people are saying (and we aren't their superior), it's best to let mistakes slide. If you are in the position to use someone's grammatical mistake as a teaching point, make sure you doing it gracefully. No one likes a know-it-all.
And for Heaven's sake, don't use proper grammar and then point it out to people. If using correct grammar requires clarification, maybe you should change or simplify your sentence structure.
I'll admit that I get hung up on lie/lay (people lie down themselves, people lay down objects) and hanged/hung (again, one for people and another for objects), but I try to sort it out each time I use these words to make a new, correct habit out of it.
Do you stumble over any particular grammar rules? Are you a stickler for grammar or do you think grammar may be becoming less relevant?
---
This past weekend it was the Mr.'s birthday. His paternal family hosted a wonderful celebration at a lake house on Lake Gage near Angola, Indiana. It was in the 80's, sunny and quiet. Such a good time!
Lake house. Lake hair. Per usual, I didn't wash my hair all weekend. 'Twas pretty gross by the end, but the schmoutz helps you need less hairspray to hold your hair together with the wind/wave runner/lake water variables.
Local wine. Only sold in Indiana. Made in Steuben County. This one was pretty good. The red was just so-so in my opinion (too sweet).
The birthday chair. He's 28 going on 8, so we brought out the child in him.
I made brownies...
And his aunt got a lovely cake from a boutique baker in Ft. Wayne. He got to blow out the candles on two desserts for twice the birthday wishes!
He really got into it the second time around.