But enough about that. I want to give you some advice for hanging onto your hat this holiday season. No matter what bothers you (work, family, friends, a pack/blank social calendar), here are some of my tips for cooling-it.
Be sincere. If you are mad, express it lovingly. If you are apologizing, really mean it. Talk things through in your head so you don't fly off the handle. We all stay up late wrapping presents (eh-hem, like last night) and that makes us a little more reactive or sensitive in the mornings.
via Tiny Prints.
Have perspective. Someone is always going to out-Christmas you (matching sweater pictures, perfect holiday cookies, gifts mailed on-time). But someone will also make a worse fool of themselves at the holiday work party. Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose. If you consider dancing on the table in front of your boss "losing" then don't drink so much. In fact, maybe we should all give up alcohol for new years... hmm?
Breathe. And while you're stepping back to breathe, look at the panoramic picture. How is your action relevant? What can you see from your perspective? From their perspective? Are you being sincere? I read this cool technique on Mal's blog Sunday Morning Sugar. I did it at my desk and only got to 2 reps before I felt oh-la-la. Try it and report back!
How are you getting through the holidays? Do you stress? Do you let it roll off your back like a duck?
All unlabeled photos via Pinterest. Yay, work allows it again!! [But shhh. Don't tell them I know!]




