I read this disturbing article on NPR today about how over sharing on the web can be not only repulsive but also get you into some trouble. [Warning, the article has some disturbing content.]
Now, I haven't had the misfortune to deal with any racy facebook updates or revolting tweets (I rarely twitter (tweet?)... and I can't believe "twitter"/"tweet" is a verb...), but I have found a TON of people on FB that I'd like to defriend just because I find their post content and volume annoying.
For instance, one pseudo-friend/ex-boyfriend-of-a-friend made his status this weekend:
"Am I worthy of love?"
Mancard = revoked!
The second I get on a real computer's FB (and not my phone's version), I'm defriending.
Worthless brain dribble also makes me want to defriend you, a la:
"I got up at 3 am today and then couldn't sleep and now I'm at work. Only 5 more hours until I can go hooooome."
Harmless information, but also useless information. Just because you can say it, doesn't mean you should. And really, why so many vowels?
And my most favorite of things to defriend someone for - negative, defeatist, accusatory remarks to no one specific. Seriously, grow some balls and deal with your issues. Or see a psych. Or just don't put it on Facebook. It makes you look trivial and petty. Examples:
"I guess I should stop trying to be a good friend."
"I wish I wasn't the only person in my family that was trying so hard to be a good person."
And the cherry on the sundae after all of that noise is:
"I'm so sick of the drama."
Of course, the drama would stop if the FB poster would stop posting their dumb whiny posty posts and just sever ties with the terrorizing individual and grow up.
So remember you aren't invisible or invincible on social media. And as always, "You shut your mouth when you're talking to me."