Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Move Along, Movin' Out and Other Relocation Songs



This question comes to me from a friend of mine via Facebook (shout out: Abby!). As FB is blocked on the computer I'm using now (ah, the unpredictable life of a temp) I'll answer this question as best as I can from memory.

When does one decide to move, provided that there is no specific urgency for moving like a relationship change (break-up, marriage, etc) or a job change? Where does one decide to move?

Well this question and it's answer has a spectrum of variables. Variables that each person must decide for themselves based on the intricate web of his or her own life circumstance.

Ask yourself these questions:
- Is your life in need of a change?
- Do you think that moving is just a way to run away from your problems?
- Would you be making a healthy move away from a job or relationship that is hurtful to you?
- Are you moving because you are bored? Do you think your boredom will only be found elsewhere?
- Are you a city person who likes everything at your fingertips or a country-pal who wants space and fresh air?
- Are you just desiring different weather? (am I right Chicago!?)
- Be realistic. Times are tough despite what optimistic politicians say. Can you get a job somewhere else if you move?
- Is your move a declaration of independence? Or are you moving to be closer to people that you can come home to?


(If you've never left home, consider "Moving out"... I mean, Billy Joel did and it inspired one of the Avett brothers...)

Abby has considered all of these things and, in part, helped me write these questions for consideration.

She's close to her family (in heart but not geography), not tied to her job (she's smart and extremely employable) and willing to make the leap to the south (the Carolinas are lovely, I hear).

I think, Abby, that by your question and thorough display of evidence, that you know in your heart and head that you would enjoy living closer to your family as they are growing with new additions (baby niece or nephew on the way!) and as your parents might retire to the south as well.

Chicago is (*supposed to be) nice this time of year, but weather, money and transient friends don't make "a home". I'd advise you to start shopping for jobs in the Carolinas and see what comes up. Pray about it and seek God's peace in your decision. I think that if He aligns your circumstances you'll feel it in your gut and pack up. If not, the weather will finally get beachy around here and you'll be glad you stayed. :)