Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Is the offer empty courtesy or a legit favor?

This post is inresponse to a friend's question. Thank you for calling, Becca, you're on air with Unsolicited Advice.

Becca writes:
Our realtor who is lovely, offered to watch Betty [the baby] during our home inspection. Was this a polite curtesy offer or do we take her up on it?

Let me start this off with a scenario.

"I'm going out to lunch; can I get you anything?"

Spending years as a receptionist, I've been asked this questions regularly. What would people do if I told them the truth?

"Yeah, I'm looking to buy midol, tampons, spearmint gum and a TP because my roommate's lazy and there's a drugstore nearer to work than home."

Ok, maybe that's exaggerated, but it could happen.

My motto is that sometimes people offer to do things like this out of courtesy. Sometimes we decline when we really could use the favor for the same reason - courtesy.

(He really doesn't want my shopping list, he's just being nice. I really want someone else to schelp my stuff, but I'm just being nice.)

Often we ask/decline the first time out of curtesy. But the SECOND TIME, now that's a legit offer.

I'd say, Becca, if your realtor brings up the baby-watching more than once, chances are she's legitimately offering the favor and probably just wants to hang with that cute little child of yours.

Back to the scenario.

"I'm going out to lunch; can I get you anything?"

"Nah, I'm ok. Thank though."

"Are you sure? I owe you a free lunch after all the copies you made for me yesterday. Besides, the company's buying."

"I'll have a turkey on wheat and a diet. Thanks!"