Pages

Friday, December 6, 2013

FIF: Payday Loans

Friends, I'm interjecting some realness into the giftiness this week. I want to talk about payday loans.

The short of it: Thems be bad.

The medium of it: listen to/read any of these NPR stories.

The long of it: We ended up paying off someone's payday loans to get them out of a heap of trouble and I really wish they would have come to us before they got the high-interest loans. I mean, I really wish they weren't in trouble at all. I really wish they weren't on mental/physical/emotional hard times. I'm glad they came to us before we had to go to their funeral. But I'm pissed that the payday loan place is profiting. I'm pissed that it even came to this.

In fairness, our friend has said they'll pay us back. It's supposed to be a swap of interest-hungry loan for interest-free loan. But I'm muy skeptical. Money destroys families and friendships with things go bad. We don't want to lose friendship and money.

My PSA to friends and family: PLEASE REACH OUT TO ME BEFORE YOU GET A PAYDAY LOAN.

So for the Flip-It Friday part: 
Would you ever take a payday loan? 
Have you? 
HAVE I SCARED YOU AWAY FROM THEM YET?!

[Steps down from soapbox. Exits stage right. Makes a ham sandwich.]