Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday: Busy



What are we all always doing that keeps us so busy? I don't have any children. I don't work long hours. I only work one job. My commute is not over an hour each way. I don't stay out late much anymore. I don't belong to a long list of clubs and activities. I don't volunteer regularly anymore. I don't blog every day. I'm not into crafting or DIYing.

And this isn't a realization. This isn't a confession.

I am glad that I don't keep myself so busy.

I am busy. Some days are crazy. But I don't design my life to be busy. I am not obsessed with having it all. I don't plan to start a business or travel to every continent or be a working mother of 4 who hosts themed cocktail parties with coordinated cocktail napkins.

Not that any of that is bad. Its good, as long as is brings you joy.

Joy comes from quiet places for me.

I can find it in cooking a meal over an hour's time. In playing guessing games with S ("Guess which two countries don't sell Coco-Cola?"). In taking a bath. In taking the dog out on a medium length walk at 6:30 AM (Shhh. Don't tell S.). In laughing at the stupidest things with my family.

When did "busy" universally become "happy"? Is "busy" considered the opposite of "lazy"?

Are you happiest with a full schedule? A half full one? An empty one?