Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Follow-up Thought On The Same Topic

Your gut.

I’d always respected my gut, but I’d never put it to work the way I did during that time. At first I didn't even see how much I was relying on it. I did know that since the ground underneath me was shifting every day, I needed to do my best to anticipate what might be coming next so my staff and I wouldn't be caught off guard. I found myself saying things to my managing editor such as “Let’s do a, because b will happen and we’ll be ready.” Or “Don’t do c—it will only create problems tomorrow.” My decisions turned out to be right on. One day as my managing editor and I were strategizing, she narrowed her eyes and asked, “How do you know all this stuff?” 
Guard against your gut’s biggest enemy. Even if you've learned how to tune in to your gut, there may be times when you end up stupidly ignoring it. Why? Because other people pressure you to—directly or indirectly.