I lie to myself all the time to get through things and keep thinking positively.
My calves don't hurt. Keep running.
If I complete this project on time, I'll be thanked. I'll get me noticed.
Act like you need to be there at 8 instead of 8:30 and you'll be on time.
Last night the Mr. was dealing with a cable bill issue, some stupid work issues that spilled over into the evening and cat issues (cats have issues in general, no surprise - amaright, folks!) and spun off onto a complaining tirade.
I do it too, I'm not picking on him. He just had the most recent example.
I suggested we play the "silver-lining game". Every time he wanted to complain about something, he has to follow it up with a positive about the same situation.
At least we can afford cable.
At least he has a job and the issue at hand doesn't threaten that.
At least the cats aren't dead (although that could be another negative, depending on who in our house you ask!).
Abe Lincoln gets it:
Tell me, do you ever lie to yourself? Do you ever have to force yourself to be positive? How do you handle downward spirals into negativity?