Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

A vegetable in a bag of candy

When I first heard about Ann Curry leaving the Today show for maybe unfavorable reasons, I was pissed. She's a great veteran journalist. Racism, sexism, Matt Lauer, etc. were all running through my head as possible reasons for her leaving. 



But then I watched this video of an interview of Curry with Forbes last year. I get it. She is sad to leave the show because she thought she could make a difference. She thought that she could make news about NEWS again. That she could give the viewers a few light segments on cooking and fashion and then sneak in the necessary, healthy bits about Darfur or women's rights. With Today Show ratings slipping, NBC decided to make a change. Morning news is a little more bubblegum and trix without her.

She was a vegetable in a bag of candy. 


I hope she does still reach people in her new role. I know I'd be happy to watch her.

Remember, folks: its all about the ratings. We vote with our money, our time and our attention. If you believe in reality TV shows that feature hidden cameras and obstacle courses, sure, vote for that. But if you believe in educating the public, keeping politicians transparent and making a difference for the underprivileged or underrepresented, make sure your attention, your time and your money reflect that. 


---


Oh My WORD!


Less than 2 minutes after I clicked "post", I saw this:


via, originally seen here

"Carbon dioxide emissions are not just warming up our atmosphere, they're also changing the chemistry of our oceans. This phenomenon is known as ocean acidification, or sometimes as global warming's "evil twin" or the "osteoporosis of the sea." Scientists have warned that it poses a serious threat to ocean life. Yet major American news outlets covered the Kardashians over 40 times more often than ocean acidification over the past year and a half."


Sweetjesuswearedoomed.