Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

The Real Cost of Cheap Fashion

I just read this excerpt of a book on the high cost of cheap fashion. (Of course, NPR... you go, NPR)

Ironically enough, I found in a post from a blog called The Budget Babe. It reminded me of when my friend Makenzie vowed to take a year off from buying new clothing - and she got her mom and sister to join her! They would stick to buying only thrifted clothing or buy from ethical, sustainable sources. (Underwear and socks were the exception.)

I have thought lately about my choices in clothing. My personal budget has an awesome dip in if for the first time in probably a year. I haven't spent my "fun money" because I usually spend it on clothing or shopping for myself and I can't bring myself to buy another shirt or candle. I will even go as far as wandering around a store for 20 minutes carrying a pair of shoes just to put them back and leave the store. I can't do it. I get guilty thinking about where the shoes were made, who made them, how they can possibly be so inexpensive, and, selfishly, if I even really LIKE the shoes or if I'm just looking for the purchase-high.

I really want to read the book by Elizabeth Cline referenced above. Maybe it will spur me forward into ethical clothing choices. Maybe it will give me hope that I won't look like an outdated homeless person if I vow to make better fashion selections - or none at all.