Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Flip It Friday: Equally Yolked Finances

I am really on the finance train lately. So much so that I couldn't fit all of my noisy opinions on couples finance into this one post. I even cut out paragraphs of opinionated babble.

Yolked, get it? I know it's "yoked"... or do I?

But don't worry, I saved that babble for this post! Lucky ducks, all of ya!

So I've had this debate with single and married friends alike. How do you handle finances with income disparities within a household?

Let me tell you that income disparities are normal, but somehow still not easy to maneuver. I make half (or less than 1/2, depending on raises) of the salary of my spouse. It's hard to wrap your head around your worth sometimes when that's the truth. It's equally hard (maybe, I dunno, I've never been there) to be making dramatically more than your spouse and to feel like you're both pulling your weight.


It may not be a lie to split every cost as a couple (especially a married couple) down the middle, but it can be damaging. I don't care who you are, if you are splitting the cable bill, your groceries, vacations with your spouse 50/50 and going so far as to lay our receipts and writing each other checks, you be crazy. Even if you're splitting it 70/30 you're ridiculous. 

People might think I'm wrong on this; I want you to leave your contradictory comments!

I know a couple who are married and split everything 50/50. He transfers money to her for the bills and she pays 'em out of her account. (I can only assume that they have no joint checking or at least don't both contribute to it regularly.) I think she does this because she works full time and he's a struggling artist. I think she feels like he's not pulling his weight.

Marriage (or your equivalent union) is a partnership. You both own equal shares of your marriage and should be doing life together.

What am I missing? Do you ever feel awkward about income disparity in your household? Discuss!