Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Tipsy Tuesday - Er Wednesday: Host a Throwback Thanksgiving

I'm hosting Thanksgiving for the first time this year! Eeep! (I told S that I'm already having undercooked-turkey/had-to-get-food-from-Boston-Market-at-the-last-minute-and-everyone-was-disappointed/shame-on-me nightmares.)

To keep put my own twist on the festivities, I'd like to keep them socially and ethically minded. No big box store turkey for me! I placed my order at my local butcher for a 14 pound beauty. I'm buying only enough decor to keep the traditionalist happy and there WILL be candles and a fire in the fireplace and the fire will be for warmth and ambiance. (S and I have only recently turned the heat on. And if you don't think that's a big deal, it's November in Chicago. Hello, Minnesota. I know you feel me.)

Oh, and we are inviting more than family to the meal. In keeping with the unity at the first Thanksgiving, S and I invited a foreign student who's away from her family and husband for years - including Thanksgiving - while in school. They're in Singapore, she's here. Le sigh. I hope she attends.

More tips on a real Thanksgiving here. And read more about how to have a really real Thanksgiving here (Oysters and goose anyone? And can you believe the effect one woman writer/editor had on the history of this holiday?)

Picture of the "First Thanksgiving" via Unusual Cards by way of ionlylikemonsters.

Drink pairing: Candied Pumpkin Martini with leftover candy corn from Halloween.

Soak candy corn in vodka until dissolved. Not sure if you're supposed to dissolve it, but I did and we just went with it. In a shaker: candy vodka, pumpkin spice coffee creamer, touch of honey, ice. Shakie Shakie. Strain into a martini glass that's been swirled with a stream of honey. Top with seltzer water or milk, depending on if you have milk (we didn't) or if you want to cut the creaminess (we did).