Last night S and I went to Target to get some gifts for a few charities we are supporting this season. We budget our giving so that we can be generous on a monthly basis, and this month it was super-freak-fun to shop for the needy - young and young-at-heart.
The children's charity we are supporting this Christmas is Operation Christmas Child. I loved packing shoeboxes for this charity when I was in high school and it was no different this time around. Shopping the toy aisle as an adult is like stepping into a whole new world.
S packing a slinkie, velcro catch game, monster truck, jump rope, chapstick, soap, washcloths, toothbrushes, toothpaste, coloring supplies, pencils and a sharpener, silly putty, baseball cards, a harmonica, chewing gum, fun flossers and more!
Tiana fairy princess barbie! (I know Disney is not socially accurate, but these shoeboxes go to countries all over the world. I would have bought a Filipino barbie if they sold one at Target.)
Get. In. The. Shoebox. Barbie!
The tiniest little reigndeer socks ohmywordthey'recute!
My little girl's shoebox contained a lot of the same stuff as S's but also some hair ties in pretty colors, a Hello Kitty puzzle and some glitter stickers.
I wrote a little handwritten note to put in each box - telling them how much fun we had shopping for them and how we love them because Jesus loves all of us. Sappy sappy, I know, but important.
We also did some shopping for Northpointe Resources, an organization that helps the mentally and physically challenged here in northern Illinois. A girl at work and I are splitting up a wish list for a woman named Ilona and getting her fun things like body spray and headbands. I'm going to make her a mix CD of her favorite music - 60's and 70's - to add to her gift bag. So much fun!
So how are you giving back this season? Do you have charities that you give to regularly? Are you looking for ideas on how to give back? Some of you may be doing Chicago Loot Drop. Are you one of 'em?
Comment, comment, comment!