Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Ten Tips Tuesday: on Sleeping Better

Sleeping like a baby (or a dog and a baby).



Man-o-man do the weeks fly by when you post only a few times a week! I should make a theme for every day to keep me accountable. Sheesh! Now, down to business.


Yesterday was a long day for me. Got up at 6:30 to work from 8 AM - 5 PM. Then milled around town and did some reading before I headed off to small group from 7:30 until 9. Then got a ride (thanks again, Anna!) home to be in bed, reading, by 10:30.

It's been a topic more than once that society pushes each generation to their limit in regards work and use of time. We don't know which came first - the requirement to be go-go-go or the desire to be go-go-go, but subsequent generations are busier and busier.


Naturally we cannot make more hours in the day, so when our productivity is threatened, we sacrifice how we spend our time in other areas. The people we love, activies we enjoy, down-time and adequate sleep are some points we put on the front line in the battle against the 24hr day.


Do your best to balance your life with joys and loved ones. As for sleep, most say we can get by with less but function better with more. I, personally, "hit a wall" when I'm tired and will stop at nothing to get to sleep. Here are some of my tips.





1. Make a routine. Take a shower, brush your teeth, light a soothing candle for 15 min to get your mind and muscle memory going down the "oh yeah, I AM tired" track.





2. Lower the lights. If your bedroom lights aren't on dimmers, you can get ready for bed by candlelight or buy only putting a bedside light on instead of a harsh overhead light.





3. Trying listening to classical music or music without lyrics. Lyrics can get stuck in your head and keep your mind a'workin'.





4. Read an easy read. I've been reading a book loaned to me by my friend Giselle (thanks!) written by the Dalai Lama that is very placid. Although I don't believe the theology the book is based on, Mr. Lama (I know that's not his name) does approach life calmly and compassionately, which I do admire.





5. Put your iPhone down. Staring at a back-lit screen only wakes your mind up and keeps you alert and thinking. Put. It. Down.





6. Shower or at least wash your feet. I cannot sleep without clean feet. I feel like dirty feet make dirty sheets and I cannot sleep in dirty sheets!





7. Make your bed in the morning. There is something transitional about folding back the sheets that helps you think about bedtime as final and a good exhale to the day. There's nothing else to prepare, it's already done and you can hop right in.





8. Stop drinking coffee 5 hours before you go to bed. Most people shouldn't drink coffee outside of the work day. If you are a tea or decaf drinker, remember you are still getting caffeine. Give your physical body no excuse to be restless.





9. Exercise. Burning off some calories and energy stored in your desk-bound-body will help your muscles and mind relax. Running and other forms of cardio can even help you clear your mind of worries and a worriless mind is a happy, sleepy mind.





10. Melatonin. Taken occasionally, a supplement of melatonin can help aid in sleep by naturally restoring your body's sleep cycle. I take it when I've had a busy day and really need help winding down or when I travel between time zones.





I feel like days are taken off of my life when I do not get enough sleep. Here's to big, fat ZZZs.