Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

What to do when you don't remember someone's name

It can be super awkward when you don't remember someone's name.

Especially if they remember yours... and you met at a party and spent hours together... and then you invite them to a Cubs game with your family to try and make up for your poor memory...

I never did that but it would have been awkward, eh?

When I am in a social setting and cannot remember a person's name, I tried to introduce them to someone:

Me: Oh hi, have you met my friend (insert name of friend I DO know)?

Unnamed person sticks out their hand: No I haven't, my name is Neil/John/Rhett

Bingo! His name was Rhett! Er, I mean, that was all hypothetical.

If you've no one to introduce, no one you can consult, you don't have a smart phone and cannot look on FB, then you're better off just being honest. Explain to them that you have a terrible memory or that they are extremely forgettable and let them clear up the mystery.

If all else fails, call him Steve. I once called an Eric by the name of Steve - and got others to do it too - for a few months. He's married now and I'm sure gets called worse names that Steve. You're welcome.