Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

Flip-It Friday: Help Me Write My Performance Review

Hey kidlets, remember this post about my how my boss is sick? Well, my company is approaching performance review time and I find myself writing a really sour-puss review of my job. I have lost a lot of motivation and don't see a light at the end of the tunnel (and don't know if I like what may be at the end of the tunnel). To voice my frustrations, I thought I'd gently let my company know that a number of things have fallen in my lap because of my boss's sickness. Is this petty? Am I just complaining to complain? I hate coming to someone with a problem without a solution to suggest, but I also want my company to know how much I am affected. It may help me gain hope in my future here. Or at least get me some fair compensation and open communication in the mean time.

Here is what I drafted:

I’d be remiss to not also mention the weight that the department has felt from [boss name's] illness. I know I’m the newest [employee] this side of the reception desk, but I care deeply about everyone I work with and want nothing but the best for each. It’s silly in comparison to the actual struggle of dealing with illness firsthand or as a family member. We all care about [boss man] and want him to be healthy. We also all care about the company and want to do the best we can. Sometimes what is good for one’s health is in conflict with what’s good for the company. I have felt put in the middle at times. I've had to make choices that put a strain on me personally and that are none of my business. There is no blame to be doled out, but thought it would be unfair to not assert it.

It should also be noted that my boss has disclosed that in his own performance review he did not hold back from describing the bad taste left in his mouth by some of the poor moral around the company. He explicitly stated that he felt undervalued and that there was a rift forming between the perceived haves and have-nots. My department is sometimes seen as pure overhead and it's both disconcerting and discouraging. Some of my feelings from my draft above may be reflective of trickle-down feelings from my management.

Thoughts?