Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Tipsy Tuesday: How to Show Gratitude

I am excellent at sending thank you cards (love mail!), but horrible at the actual in-the-moment "thanks".

I always try to qualify it. Or make it grander than it should be, causing my gratitude to seem fake. Or downplay it like I am undeserving of said gift/compliment. Or worse.

I was a senior in high school and was spending time with a boy who would be my prom date (or already had been... the order of events is fuzzy). He had been on a family vacation and brought me back a gift. We had hung out for several hours before he revealed what the gift was. I was surprised when he unwound a string of shell beads from his wrist to reveal a women's necklace.
When he handed it to me I said, "That's it?"
Becoming embarrassed he said, "Yes. That's it."
Realizing my rude expression I backpedaled, "Oh no, I don't mean 'That's it' like it's not great. I mean 'That's it.' like... You've been wearing it the whole time... and I didn't notice that it was new or different."

Ouch.

This past weekend I made my Mr. proud by simply thanking his mom for a compliment she paid me over the oatmeal I cooked. Oatmeal, folks.

How do you show your thankfulness? Just say, "Thank you."