I saw this sign on the back of a bus on yesterday.
Which is strange, because I read this article Wednesday.
The topic has come up in conversations about whether it should be legal. Prostitution, not trafficking. So it can be safer. So it can be regulated.
I'm against legalization of prostitution with a sort of radiating combo of pity and hatred. I can somehow feel it in my spine when people get nonchalant about it. I can't totally explain why I hate it, but I can't stop thinking, "That's someone's child."
Some women chose to get into that profession, but most are coerced. Or they're adolescents. Or they're drugged up (their decision or someone else's). I think that's why I hurt in my bones over this issue.
I'm really happy to see that the media is turning its eyes on others involved in these crimes. Whether it should be legal or not, prostitution is illegal for now. And human trafficking is and should always be illegal. So however you look at it, we need to be taking a broader view of prostitution. We need to look at the puppeteers above the stage and the shadowed faces in the crowd - not the just dolls on strings.
