Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tipsy Tuesday: Put Down the Keyboard, Vigilante

I can get bogged down in fruitless work in my professional and personal life.

Like, are people going to even notice if I put those files into a color-coded binder? Or can I just stuff them in manilla and walk away?  I have to ask myself periodically if going the extra mile is worth it.

I can also get bogged down in self-righteousness in the blog community.

Like, some nice bloggers I know seems to contradict themselves in their blog by preaching about God's love one minute and featuring ethically questionable products from Forever 21/H&M/The Gap/Zara/Wal-Mart/Target the next. Does it do anything to write a scathing comment on their post? Would calling them out help anything? Most likely, no. It will just make them mad or expose my self-righteousness.

I can also feel guilty for not recycling in a country where recycling is easy.

Like, when you're at a beach-side barbecue and the host doesn't offer a recycling option, but has bags of Styrofoam plates for disposal. Do you make an ass of yourself by eating a hot dog with no safety net for dripping condiments and hoard soda cans in your purse for the hour's ride back home to recycle them? No.

I, J.Mill, release myself from these self imposed obligations. While I won't lower my work ethic or compassion, I'll also not alienate people over a La Croix can. I'll try to live humbly in this glass house and hope that someone doesn't catch me taking 20 minute showers.

---

Beverage pairing: Lime and cucumber infused water. We need to detox after back-to-back parties this weekend.