Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Why Comedians Are The Saddest



This is one of those rare occasions where I know the exact type of image I want for a post: the theater masks of comedy and tragedy.

I imagine that people think that comedians are the happiest of people. If it is your job to make others laugh, wouldn't it make sense that you're happy yourself?

I'm sure there are happy comedians out there, I just think their in the minority.

I think, comedians give away their happiness so that others can laugh. I think they live normal or even strained lives and see the silver lining or, more often, the dark, funny side for us. They get in the worst of pickles and chose to expose their pitfalls for our amusement.

The ultimate "we'll laugh about this later."

But they still experience the worst. Relationships falter. Expenses mount. Weight never seems to balance (physical and emotional).

So by that logic, they would just be as sad as anyone else, right? Maybe not.

I think comedians are the saddest because:

1) their comedy is a defense mechanism - they aren't looking on the bright side, they are looking at the funny side (which is most likely not so bright and can be self-deprecating or downright awful)
2) the illusion of a happy comedian makes others overlook the severity of their sadness

Look at your favorite comedian. Do they struggle with family issues? Substance abuse? Emotional distress? Are they singled out for their weight, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic background, or other physical attribute? Are these the very reasons you find them funny? If you were to describe them, would you have a hard time not mentioning that they're fat/Jewish/gay?

What do you think?