Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tipsy Tuesday: Smelling Smells

Title has double meaning, so I probably get double points. High five (clap).

I'm seeing all over Pinterest that there are homemade home fragrances for every taste: sweet, earthy or punchy. Smells can be punchy. Let me show you (clap).

I was thinking it was getting a bit ridiculous with all of the scenty-ness. I mean, does everyone's house smell so bad? Apparently.

Probably because you made your own potato chips per Cup of Jo. I know I did. I know my house smelled like I had beer-battered my cupboards, too.

But before we treat the smelly symptom, why don't we go to the source.

Tip #1: Clean

If your house is smelly, maybe you need to take out the trash. Or clean the garbage disposal. Or snake the drain. 'Tit happens people. Get your hands on that pipe rat and yank.

Tip #2 Disinfect

Sometimes things look clean, but the germs are just sparkling with scrubbed faces. Use some bleach, baking soda or even some herbal oils to disinfect and deodorize.

Which brings me to tip #3.

Take a bath with eucalyptus oil. It's kinda hot 'cause of the bath and kind cool because of the eucalyptus oil and the oil is a disinfectant. It will stink up your whole bathroom in a good way. And you get a bath out of it.

Tip #4

Open the windows. Put on some socks to keep your feet warm in the fall breeze, but get some fresh air in your home.

Tip #5

Anthropologie makes great candles. Bite the bullet and buy a candle before you boil a pot of pine needles dry and have to try and erase the smell of your botched home-scent attempt.

Hot, burned pine needles = scent of dead bodies in the woods.



Beverage pairing: A gimlet. Because gin tastes like pine needles to some people. (Picture above is rosemary... I guess you could put that in your gimlet...)