Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tipsy Tuesday: Spring Has Sprung [A leak in my dreams]

Hello tropical babes!

Chicago in March. Usually cold(er) ammaright? It's no news and it's not a bad thing... but some of it's side effects are.

Although spring is here (as.of.today.), we usually don't feel it this strongly (80 degrees today? WTF?). The warm weather and sunshine are bringing on some unwanted conditions. Here's a list of things that are ahead of their season and ruining my day.

1) Seasonal allergies. Or pollution. Either way my eyes are red and itchy, my nose is both clogged and runny (how?!), and I have a headache from the aforementioned ailments.

Solution: Neti pot, Zyrtec and coffee. The neti clears the yeti our of your sinuses, Zyrtec is the only allergy med that works for me and coffee assures that my headache is not due to withdraw :)
Hi. I'm a furry yeti. Your sinuses are my spring break vacation home.

2) Ants. Holy raisins on a celery stick, they're here. We're on the 2nd story of a 3-flat and somehow it feels like our unit is directly INSIDE an ant hill. It starts with just a few, but you know once you see them it's too late. They're everywhere.

Solution: Mix water, sugar and ant killer (or borax, like this recipe) and let the ants eat/carry the poison back to the nest. Then call an exterminator because nothing will kill these things short of a Ghostbuster or Frollo wielding a cathedral stone in the Hunchback of Notre Dame.


Minute 3:47

3) Hair frizz. I thought I would get a few more weeks out of my do before having to perma-tape it to my scalp. Alas, summer temps and humidity are upon us.

Solution: A good serum and a hair cut. The cut keeps the ends of your hair from frizzing more than normal and the serum helps your cuticle lie-down like a good dog. I got my hair trimmed last weekend at the Aveda Institute and have been using this serum for a few months now and love it. Unlike Moroccan Oil, this stuff is light on my thin hair. I can still wait days to wash my hair as this stuff isn't greasy. It helps my hair dry quickly so I'm not spending a long time under a hair dryer. I think it also helps to straighten my hair.


Anyone else strugglin' with early on-set allergies, ants or frizz? What are your solutions? What else is surprising you this spring? 

And for those of you who get a spring break - how's it going? What are/were your plans? I don't get a spring break, but I did get to see some awesome lovelies this weekend - my friends Becca & Mike and my sister & bro-in-law. Both couples have a 1-yr-old and are expecting their 2nd child. How serendipitous? My nephew, btw, knows how to fist-bump now. You just say "give me knucks" and he puts his tiny fits out and pounds it. So awesome. What's not so awesome is that his fine motor skills now include smacking you in the face. The terrible 2's are still a few months off. Hold tight, son. 

Song suggestion courtesy of my 'rents: Carolina Liar, Drown. Sorta reminds me of Our Lady Peace. Neato.