Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

How to Receive Advice

Advice on advice. Noodle on that one for a minute.

I work a job that is interesting to me and, I believe, is pretty intuitive. Most creative jobs are. Mind you, being the creative mind in a techy company sometimes means that "creativity" is picking the extra commas out of a proposal or Googling how to paste a TIFF into a powerpoint... sigh... big dreams, kids!

Naturally (I say naturally because it keeps happening so I assume nature is compelling people to do this), when I offer my advice to a well seasoned (read: older) associate upon their request for said advice, the associate retorts that I am either:

a) wrong or
b) wrong and they know how to do it better than me.

Naturally.

It sometimes happens that people fire back out of insecurity or a power trip. Sometimes I think it's a female-on-female hate-crime thing. Sometimes I think it's a Yankee v. Confederate thing (I see your big hair and sweet tea and raise you ozone depletion and diabetes!!). Sometimes I think it's a "let's rough up the new girl thing". Sometimes it's a techy-no-likey-people thing.

Regardless.

I try to stick it out for these yahoos as it is my job to assist them. To polish their papers, refine their reports, manage their marketing material, and publish their products. I take great pride in helping them and see their need to correct me as a sign that I am inching towards success and they feel threatened. Dash me if you dare!
...

On an unrelated note -

I asked Mr. S to give me instructions on how to make Windows Media Player my default audio player instead of iTunes. Because when listening to a voicemail, one need not wait 5 minutes for iTunes to load.

He responded: control panel > default programs > set associations

I responded:  It's actually: control panel --> add/remove --> set program defaults --> custom --> choose default media player....

Then I responded: thanks for your help though :) your wrong suggestion helped me think outside of the box!

Then I responded: I mean... THANK YOU!

...

Touche, Self-Appointed Sassy Pants. Touche.