Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tipsy Tuesday: Freelancing Tips

I'm busy busy today/this week. I just found out I'm incompetent at work (who knew!?), so reversing that image will take some time. AND my lovely friends in Fort Worth are throwing me a free-lance bone and letting me a take a crack at some website content. Yippee Skippy (smooth peanut butter) for friends who care about my self esteem!

So here to phone it in is J.Mill's Google Reader feed. Design Sponge, take it away (my interpretations are in parenthesis. I like D*S, but sometimes their posts are painfully lengthy and we all - on the interwebs - love brevity!):

How to Get More Clients

1. Get Clear on Your Results (What, would you say, ya do here? - Office Space, anyone?)
2. Get Clear on Whom You Want to Serve (pick a niche)
3. Create Prices and Packages That Make Sense (Charging by the hour is for lazy, slow people)
4. Play Your Own Game (If you're a baker, eat the donuts; if you're a writer, read)
5. Have Conversations That Matter (Be and opportunist and make some of opportunities happen for yourself)

My favorite is point #3. Why should you be paid less if you were more efficient? Same goes for lazy people being paid more for filling a whole day with nonsense. Check out the descriptions and whole article on Design Sponge.


Pair this reading with a mug of black coffee and a liter or water to keep you hydrated in the 8-to-5. Then go run a few miles to keep from nightmaring the night away. I dunno why, but I nightmare less when I go to bed really, really tired. Or just get this App and dream romantic dreams. Credit goes to Mr. S for sending me that article. I had a weird dream about dating a solider who flew a helicopter. I guess I'm the one who gets the nightmares while Mr. S is the one who gets to kill himself fly in a Cessna a la last weekend.