TMI.
Sorry, kids, but that's what my 2011 doctor and beautician visits have included. Hair stylists, facialists, dermatologists, internal medicine docs, allergists and ear/nose/throat docs have concluded that we (I) need to achieve one thing in 2012 to be healthy: hydration.
Ok, that's an over generalization. But for me, hydration has been a common vein.
I seriously saw more docs this year than I feel like I saw in previous years. I guess that's what having health insurance (and a dehydrated body) will do for/to you.
My Causes: Hair dryer. Space heater. Fire place. Hot showers. Allergy pills that dry my nose out. Dehydrating drinks that counteract my h2o - alcohol, coffee, tea.
via All Women Stalk - more tips for dry hair
I drink a TON of water, so let's get that out of the way. My friend Sarah is a healthcare professional and says that you should drink 1/2 of your body weight in ounces per day. You weigh120 lbs = 120 oz, and half is 60 oz/day = 7.5 cups. Her comment is found here.
But that might not be enough.
Let that sink in. You can drink 8 glasses a day and that might not be enough. You have to hydrate yourself from the inside out and the outside in. Heat sucks the moisture from your skin. The air is also dryer here in Chi-town in the winter than it is in the summer. Low humidity is good for your hairstyle but can suck the moisture out of your body.
My Solutions: Dry hair less and use a protective serum. Lotion, lotion, lotion. Shorter, cooler showers (I know, tear!). Ointment-type hand creams. Antibiotic ointments. Cut back on allergy pills (even if that means more sneezing) or alternate what pills I use. Wash hands instead of using an alcohol-based sanitizer and then use lotion.
And while you have hydration on the brain, I'll plug my new charity of choice again:
Charity : Water blog
Beverage pairing: clean water for all people.

