Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Ten Thanks Thursday

This Thanksgiving, I'm not going to list the usual things for which I'm thankful. Here's a weird, but honest list.

1) My broken eyes. I don't see very well without artificial assistance. No, not a seeing eye monkey, but glasses or contacts. Why am I thankful for broken eyes? Because I get to wear cool glasses and it reminds me that I live in a time, a country, and a health system that allow for people like me (broken) to see. And eyes are pretty amazing, yes!?

2) Roasts. No, not the kind that go well with gravy. Well, maybe also the kind that go with gravy. I mean the kind of roast where comedians make fun of each other. A good sense of humor is gold in my book. And people who can both take a joke and give one are solid-statue-gold.

3) 4:30. I am thankful for the home stretch of the workday when the evening is full of possibilities and you can knock out that last project to feel productive and bounce all the way to the train stop. Or maybe I'm thankful for 6:15 when I'm home, showered, in clean pj's and on the couch eating snacks or pondering dinner. Yeah maybe the latter because the whole dirty-train-ride-with-yappy-general-public is over.

4) I'm thankful for clean sheets and a husband who does laundry. But not my laundry. He's scared to wash panty hose, sweaters, underwear, etc. for fear of shrinking, pilling, fading, etc. But he does a mean sheet!

5) Metabolism. I would say high metabolism, but I think mine is slowing. I'm just grateful that I can eat slop occasionally and not turn into an amoeba of floating bones and fat.

6) USPS. Yes, those people are angry SOBs most of the time, but it's amazing that you can write a letter and send it across the world, huh? And I love writing letters!

7) Inside jokes. Not the exclusivity of them, but the fact that they can be conveyed in a look, a word or a gesture. Instant fun and laughter!

8) Pundits. 'Cause being told what to think is the new black. Actually, it's amazing how informative they are and how they reach a generation would not be interested in news or current events otherwise. Look at regular news and how biased that is... do you think listening to pundits is any more slanted? [I'm thankful for NPR too.]

9) The internet. Isn't it amazing how you can find almost anything within a few seconds? Remember encyclopedias? Your children (or grandchildren) wont!

10) I'm thankful that I don't live in North Korea. S and I have watched some documentaries (you know, buy documentarians - inside joke!!) and have had some NK talks lately. Its really shocking how a country can be under that type of oppression in this day and age. So thankful that my family and I are all safe and healthy where we are!

What have you found lately for which to be thankful? Gimme your weirdest notions!