Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tipsy Tuesday: Can-it (Pickles, Pumpkin and Your Mouth) and Know When to Pop The Can

Last night S and I had a married couples event at our church to try and get into the "Married Club" - which is like the playboy club except ... well, I can't see why it's not like the playboy club. A 1:1 ratio is preferred, women are trying to look impressive and men are trying to look aloof, and everyone should have a drink before entering to help loosen the nerves.

You'd think we'd be in the Married Club just by being married. I'm not so sure anymore. This little group is designed to help you sorta pick-up other couples and decide if you want to do a Bible study with them. We joked on the way in that this was like dating and we joked on the way out that that was probably why I couldn't. stop. talking.

I became a social steam roller - running over people with inane dribble just to try to keep the conversation crickets from waking up and singing. Gosh why the flip are people so awkward in new groups.

After the predictable "who are ya/what do you do/how long you been married?", we got to talking about hobbies and I mentioned blogging. The meeting facilitator got up, popped the cap from an Expo marker and turned from the whiteboard for me to recite the URL. Heaven help me. I told her that 'wasn't the point of the group to get to know one another and THEN disclose our innermost secrets'? I'm my own PR enemy ... or my savior, I couldn't tell.

What would people think of me if they knew I was a sarcastic, misdirected, ill-informed advice blogger. I retreated into myself and stopped blabbering so much. I felt like I was back in grade school when the teacher would purposely look around my raise, waving hand to pick on someone who'd not answered a question yet. Not that anyone was making me feel like I was stealing the show, I just suddenly felt a spotlight.

I live in a constant struggle: please people by using my social talents to ease other's awkwardness or curl in upon myself and shut up because that's easier on me and gives others a chance to shine. Not to mention my face doesn't turn red as long as I don't speak.

So I'm still struggling with it, but know I have to pick up on social cues on when to speak and when to can-it.

Speaking of cans (segue, segue), I have a stange habit of scooping up cans and cans of pumpkin each year when it comes out. I'm a canned pumpkin hoarder. I popped the top on one can this weekend and made pumpkin muffins. No pic of mine because I ate the ones I had with me already.


I also made some homemade pickles that are getting better with every day they sit in my fridge. A mix of zucchini, onion, cucumber, red pepper, garlic and celery. All of which make a good, low-cal snack. And I don't even can! Fridge pickles are easy and stay crisp for a long time. Again, not my photo, but you get the idea.


As for your Tipsy Tuesday beverage? Have a PSL (pumpkin spice latte) or a bloody mary with all those pickled goods!