(Gavel bangs. Sidenote: I just finished The Help and have decided that, although gavels are used by the wicked, maybe I can make it less wicked or embrace my wickedness... cause tiny hammers that command attention are neat. The movie comes out Wednesday. Also neat.)
On this, the first of all Tipsy Tuesdays, I'm going to pick one out of the suggestion box. Oh. there appears to be only one suggestion. That'll make it easy.
BLill writes:
I LOVE Real Simple magazine, and I can't get enough of the articles in which they give you alternate ways to use everyday items (like this one here: http://www.realsimple.com/new-uses-for-old-things/index.html). Do you have any genius ways to add utility to everyday items????
Well I'm not too crafty (and not as crafty as the team of contributors for Real Simple), but I am good with being versatile. Here are some of my multi-taskers:
Safety Pins - Just last night I even used one to hold a towel around me like a cape while I colored my hair. I use them in lieu of buttons on low cut shirts, to hold bra straps under tank tops, and even to separate my eye lashes... oh wait, that was Julia Roberts...
via
Plastic grocery bags - I use these to tote around sweaty water bottles in my purse on the way to work, gather recycling, do neighborhood clean-up, contain smelly trash within the larger trash bag, line bathroom trashcans, and even pick up dog doo (in those times when I've lived with a dog). And even if you don't reuse the store's bags, you can often recycle them. So don't throw them away, just return them to the grocery store!
A mild facial mosturizer - Yes it does its job to keep your skin soft and hydrated, but it also works as an eyelid primer for under eye concealer which makes your concealer spread easier and therefore puts less strain on your sensitive eye skin, it thins out foundation to make it more summer-friendly, and most have SPF in them these days so you are already protected from the sun.
Double duty items I've used before:
Newsprint as window wiper. (I grew up with this one. It's better than paper towel.)
Razor blade to clean/scrape permanent marker off of a mirror.
Butter knife to scrape the inside of a candle to make it burn evenly.
Mason jars as inside windowsill planters.
Mason jars as candle votives.
Men's cologne as my own. (Men like it. I promise.)
Conditioner as shaving cream.
Stacked suitcases as a desk/side table.
What are your multi-taskers or double-duty items?