Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

How to Change Your Last Name After Getting Married - Chicago Style

I wrote this email to a good friend who became a Mrs. in October. Yes, I am just copy/pasting this from the email.

So You Think You're a Mrs. - Chicago Edition

Now let's prove it!

In the weeks it took me to change my name on all things important, I carried my ID, passport, SS card and marriage certificate around with me in a large, brown envelope. I would also recommend having $20-$40 cash on you at all times as that may save you some ATM fees. It will take a while to change your name, so patience is a virtue! Its all part of the chaos of being married. You know, I know b/c I've been ripened by 7 months of it! (7 months today: 1-3-12)

1) Get your marriage Certificate. You got your marriage license before you got married, now you have to get the cert to prove that you are married. You can do this at the Daley Center in the same place you got your marriage license. You should order 2+ copies of the certificate as some systems may require you to mail in an original copy. These copies will cost you money, so be prepared.

2) Get your new Social Security Card. Take your marriage cert, current social security card and driver's license/passport to the social security office on 77 W Jackson.

3) Get a new Driver's License. Bring your new SS Card (heck, I started carrying all ID with me at this point, just in case) and CASH with you to the Thompson Center (downstairs) or any DMV. The DMV in the Thompson Center doesn't take Visa, so I had to get cash out of an ATM to go there. I think it's $5 to change your name. Make sure they get your name right (they spelled mine wrong) and be prepared for them to take your picture. They wouldn't let me use the old photo. Here is a chart of what IDs you can bring with you to prove your new name. We qualify as "Duplicate/Corrected ID". You should be able to elect to have your voter's registration changed here too. If you want to change your address, you may need to bring a piece of mail with you (one that has your name and new address on it).

4) Passport. I did mine via mail, but I think you can do it in person somewhere. Mail in old passport, DS 82 Form, renewal fee of $110 (check), original marriage cert and a color photo. I had a passport photo taken at CVS. Read the DS 82 Form thoroughly as I couldn't tell if you staple your passport photo to it or not. It's a tricky form.

5) Take new ID and/or SS Card to your work and get your benefits changed to your new name. Your HR should be able to assist you.

6) Update banks and credit cards. Some banks will let you walk in with new ID and change it there. Some (like our online bank, Ally) will make you fax in proper ID and a copy of your marriage cert. to qualify for a name change.

7) If you have any separate loans (school or otherwise), utilities in your name, investments, doctor's office, and are registered to vote, get those changed as well.



Photo of Mr. and Mrs. S 7 months ago. That's me on the left.

I have yet to change my Ally bank account, my voter's registration card (I got a new one with my ID, but they spelled my name wrong the first time and it didn't get corrected on the voter card), and my American Airlines rewards account. Gotta get that changed before I head to Nicaragua in February!

What am I missing? What's different about how you changed your name? Did anyone else think that changing your last name should be easier since people get married all. the. time.??

Drink Pairing: something hot! 2012 is coming in in cold style. Woke up to freezing temps this morning and was glad I wore my merm to work today!