Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

First Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning


When there's a smile in your heart 
There's no better time to start
Think of all the joy you'll find 

When you leave the world behind 
And wave your cares goodbye
You can fly
You can fly
You can fly
You can fly


I was reciting lines from Peter Pan last night. The Mr. indicated that he'd never seen it before so, of course...

As a child I could recite the whole movie. Now, I can only remember some of the lines. Mostly I remember Wendy's because she had a lyrical quality to her voice that made is stick like a song. 

When we were looking up the movie, the Mr. asked me if it was the one made in the 50's. I was surprised to realize how old the film was. Naturally, its been restored for color and clarity, but the cartoon was still pretty impressive. 

The racism, sexism, politically-incorrectness was pretty impressive too. Taking it all in with nostalgia through a historical lens made it pretty wonderful though and we overlooked a lot. 

Not sure the Mr. found the magic as beguiling as I did, but I was singing and lilting alongside the Darling children, their parents, and the incredible creatures that leapt out of the minds of children and into the world of Neverland. 

As an adult, I was drawing connections between the movie, niche pop-culture, the strange fairy-obsessed crowd that can be manifests itself on Halloween and Michael Jackson. 

But with some wine in hand, a sleeping dog at my feet and a patient Mr. willing to participate in a skip down memory lane, I was only drawn out of the wonderment temporarily, jumping right back in in time to bob my head to the tick-tock of the crocodile clock.

Duh duh duh, du-du-duh-duh duh, dum dum dum duh du duh duh duh duh....