I often ruminate on things until I think I have it all figured out. Like a little judge in my mind, I debate, debate, debate until the gavel drops and I pick the most well defended answer.
Two sides of the same coin: I want to think I know it all; I want to know that I don't know it all.
Big topics that I talk about here are often polarizing. And I always choose a side, however hasitly or ill-informed*. I am trying to not do that so much. I want to challenge what I think I know and be open to changing my mind. I think it's essential.
For instance, we watched "Atlas Shrugged" parts 1 and 2 this weekend and I tried NOT to stomp out of the room.
So to turn completely around from my usual, shameful "know it all" model, here are some things I don't know. I won't follow it up with a list of things I do know (although I am tempted). Comment, readers. I want to know your thoughts on my list or other things you don't know.
- I don't know if foreign aid is a good thing.
- I don't know if dairy is bad for humans.
- I don't know what benefits corporations create for themselves by giving out big bonuses and little salaries to their leaders, instead of just a salary.
- I don't think all recycling collected is actually recycled.
- I don't know how to punish my dog.
- I'm not sure hell is real.
- I don't know if all children (not the individual child, but the circumstances** of having a child) are a blessing.
- I don't know if it overall matters if we buy local/sustainable/green/ethical products.
- I don't know who's really at fault for September 11th.
*Aren't we all, comparatively?
** Considering definition: a happy event or state of affairs