You are in a tranquil space of waterfalls and Ohm. Come with me to the world of Feng Shui. Or as westerners pronounce it "Fung Schway".
A few tenants of Feng Shui that I think could help us all achieve home-decor enlightenment and that I found here are:
1) De-clutter. Get rid of whatever is broken, unused or ugly. Make space.
2) Position furniture so that navigating a room is easy. There should be a "flow". My poetry professors at Purdue would hate me for using the word flow, but love me for that alliteration. I'm sorry/you're welcome.
3) Like in life, keep work and rest separate. Create a physical distinction between where you work and where you sleep. No TVs in the bedroom. No iPhone-ing in bed. Nap in the bedroom and not on the couch, etc.
4) Make repairs promptly. If you don't fix it right away, you're better off getting rid of whatever the item is or calling in a professional. Don't create work-arounds to existing problems.
5) Mirrors. I'm not sure if I agree with this one (the fact that if you hang mirrors at the front door that they will reflect good energy back into the home...ehhhh *shrug*). But if you do hang mirrors in small rooms, it will make them look bigger. If you hang them in dark rooms, it will help make lights and sunlight brighter. It might also feed into your vanity. You be the handsome, handsome judge.
6) Living things. Plants, flowers, fruit, (dogs!). I think it's nice to display an ecosystem in your home. Have things living and existing on all levels helps you feel the balance in the world. And dogs are cute friends, right?
7) Water. I naturally have water in every room with me as I carry glass upon glass of water with me everywhere. I'm the girl who even brings her adult sippy cup to meetings. I think having water (in a glass for drinking, a fountain for listening or a vase for flower-growing), is a mood-lifter and healthy.
8) Colors. I appreciate the look of a monochromatic or all-white space, but I do like it when colors are in balance and abundant, too. Feng Shui leans towards natural greens, golden yellows mixed with purples and reds. I wouldn't put all of them in a room together in equal parts, but if you focus on 2 or 3 and then just have one square inch of the other two, you could pull it off.
9) Avoid sharp lines and corners. Unless you like angular style of course. And if you have children, they'll either cut themselves on your sharp stuff or file all the edges down for you :) Feng Shui suggests that you should avoid pointing corners toward beds or chairs as this will direct negative energy. I think that's smart because if you point the corner of your dresser toward your bed, chances are you are not making the best use of space anyway. Think of arranging your room on a grid.
Do you Feng Shui?