I like this blog called Smith and Ratliff. It's authored by a couple who live in the Big Apple. The pair usually blog about food, NY culture and general hipsterness.
Their recent post (linked above) talked about their trip to Montreal and a meal at a French resto called Au Pied de Cochon. Smith and Ratliff ate a huge meal, mostly consisting of froie gras.
I new froie gras was a delicacy, but I wasn't quite sure what animal it came from or what part of the animal it was.
Insert Wikipedia here.
SWEET JESUS THAT'S HORRIBLE.
I don't eat lamb or veal, but now I'll certainly steer clear of this menu item. For shame, civilized society, for shame!!
Advice: I won't tell you not to eat froie gras (cough* don't eat froie gras *cough), but you should be a responsible consumer. Know where your food comes from, what it is and how it's made. And decide if you can sleep at night after knowing what you know. I'm not a vegetarian, but I do make many meatless choices and am still pursing knowledge and practice ethical eating to the best of my knowledge/ability.