Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Giving Up or Trading?

I've heard that when we forfeit a habit, we really just replace it with another habit.

Instead of going out for a smoke, we snack.
Instead of snacking, we shop.
Instead of shopping, we ... read? Maybe this is where it comes full circle and we smoke again. Ha!

Since we are in Lent, I've given up alcohol until Easter. It's easy to stick by my commitment when I'm not socially busy, but I will have some trials in the next few weeks including a wedding, my birthday, a dinner party, a potential reunion with a friend, another book club and the return of MadMen.

(*gulp* in trepidation and irony)

Since I'm looking at this as 40 days of deprivation, I'm wondering if I can substitute with something else to make me feel like I'm not missing out.

I love beverages (as you may know by now) but sparkling water can only carry me so far.

So I ask you, what would you do/drink in place of giving up alcohol? Did you give up something for Lent? Do you find that when you give something up you end up indulging in something worse just to keep your sanity?

P.S. It should be easier to comment than ever! I took off the stupid word-encryption thing and made the comment page another screen so that it would load more quickly. Notice a difference? Now you have no excuses!

Cool graphic about what, according to Twitter, people are giving up for Lent. Some of my favorites that are tiny (i.e. not many people are giving them up): Gossip, Bacon, My Job.