And then I grew up and got sick of all that drama/unnecessary hoopla.
What I am not sick of? What is worth some glossy-good-glances? Real Simple.
First of all, the cover isn't glossy. It's matte and usually has some placid photography to both grab your attention and give your eyes a hug. Think Kim Kardashian in a deep-v swapped out for a stack-of-leather-books-pedestal for a bowl of pureed soup. Martha Stewart without the angry, judgmental, "you must measure your cinnamon before adding it to your scented wreath spice mix" eyes. It's not a "good thing" if you take all the fun out of it!
Please don't tell Martha I said that. She lived through prison by knitting an afghan. Peeps musta not been scared of (just) the knitting needles.
But Real Simple. They do this thing where they come up with different uses for everyday items. BLill first turned me onto this.
Some of the things are ridiculous (luggage tag to hold paint swatches, whhaaa?), but others are quite good (I'm talking about the tie-rack turned mail organizer!).
Being inspired to share, here are some of my double-duty household items:
We got this Nambe plate (we call it the love plate) for our wedding. We didn't register for it and had no idea what to do with this heavy, metal plate. So now, it's a spoon rest!
Hair ties. They bind decks of cards, stacks of bobby pins AND they act as child locks when looped around two conjoining cabinet knobs. For the cats. Not for children. The cats in our house are like children in that I want them to go away and not drag our food out of the cabinets and shred it.
I also recently finished a small pot of jam. Instead of recycling the jar at a facility, I recycled it at home/work and refilled it with more jam. That way, I can take some spread to work without depleting the home supply or having to buy 2x the jam. I think I'm the only one who likes jam, so it takes me a while to get through one regular sized jar.



