Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

I Put Things Here That Inspire Me. Artists I admire. Articles I don't.



I remember when I first saw Mona Lisa Smile. The costumes, the issues, the art, the lipstick! *Sigh.

The story follows a teacher and her close circle of students as they work through an academic year together - clashing and accepting and changing and accepting again.

I remember that Ms. Watson, Julia Roberts character, had a wall in her office that she pinned articles, art, photos and things to. Sorta like a literal pinterest. She said that she put things there that inspired her - either in agreement or not.

My blogs have been my own inspiration wall. Blogs have allowed anyone - even me - to be a writer and be heard. My personal blog is titled after a quote from an inspiration teacher I once had: "If you are going to write so that no one can understand you, you might as well go write yourself to death in a corner." I know he was refining my grammar and reigning in my early creative difference to make sure I had a solid foundation before I deviated to Jackson Pollock-like writing.

So the advice here? Just do. We live in a wonderful world where people can be athletes in local races, artists on sidewalks, musicians in subways, politicians in the PTA and writers in blogs. Don't accept "I can't" or "No one will notice". I'll tell you that I have about 4 readers and I am thankful for them all (Anna, Abby, Seth... Mom?).

Thank you for supporting me and let me know how I can support YOU!