Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

How to Get a Job When You're Engaged or Newly Married


Happy Valentines, lovers!

I kicked off my Hubba-hubba Holiday this weekend with a coworker reunion from my most recent temp experience. 2 weeks of temping at a real estate company proved to be fruitless in a career track, but winning in a friend track when I was invited to a bar party with some of my closer coworkers.

Relaxed conversation turned to real honesty. See, when the company allowed my temporary time run out, they hired someone on full time that was less than friendly. The drinks were flowing and transitional meeting details were divulged.

To my surprise, I am rumored to be victim of discriminatory (un)hiring.

The ladies from the reality office said that it had come up in conversation that the CEO and President were worried about investing time and training into a candidate that may leave the office in a few short years to start a home and a family.

(Gasp)

I am engaged and wear my ring nearly daily. I have been asking in an informal interview before if I was planning on having kids anytime soon. I giggled and told him that it was illegal for him to ask me that question, but no, I was not planning on having kids soon - if at ALL. My fiance and I aren't on the family-track and it was indeed ILLEGAL for him to ask me that.

My fiance gave me the go ahead to not wear my ring to interviews (whimper) and I've personally decided to come right out and say that I am not a baby hungry young lady.

Even though I may never be asked again if I am looking to make mommyhood my main priority, I have realized that I cannot leave it up to the employers assume my future plans correctly.

Although cliche, be honest.