Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

UPDATE// No Way 'Round It

Everyone and their congressmen has an opinion on Syria. Even not having an opinion is an opinion.

I don't know what the right thing to do is. I don't believe "punishing" Assad is going to fix anything. I think punishment without behavior modification is no real solution. I don't think that America can do anything ace-in-the-whole-right here.

Bother.

It's all too heavy and I just want to take a Syrian family in and make them chicken salad sandwiches and help them rock their little refugee babies to sleep. They need all of it but how could one eat or sleep after seeing what they've seen.

Bother.

And I wanted to give to the Red Cross if they had a "Give to Syria" button because they are adept at giving aid in hard places and not affiliating with a church/religion. We need a lot less religion in this story. God, fine. Faith, sure. Love, definitely. But not big-R-Religion.

Alas World Vision had the only way I found (leave a comment if you know of another) to give directly to the refuges in Lebanon. Food, shelter, some joy for the kids. Ok, ok, World Vision. I'll give to you. Even if you are connected to the Church.

I guess that's what the Church was always supposed to be. The Red Cross of free sandwiches and joy for children and whatnot. Too bad it's not always/usually and too bad Religion is such a heartache.

Bother.

Here's your $100, WV.

UPDATE:
I found this organization too. They have an excellent Charity Navigator rating and appear to have clear goals for refugees.